... a trip half-way around the world ...

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Wine, layovers and Australian hospitality

Well my Australian adventure has started off as ... quite the adventure!  I arrived in Chicago, in typical Kristin fashion, early.  I was able to just sit and enjoy a good book after security confiscated all of my gifts to the family hosting me during my stay in Darwin.  Brush it off an move on, material items after all.  Not to mention my father felt so badly about it they're sending more.  :)

Boarded my flight in Chicago and departed for San Francisco, after a 1 hour 15 minute delay.  After I arrive in San Francisco, during which my 1 hour and 30 minute layover has turned into 15 minutes, I got a fantastic workout in running from one end of the San Francisco Airport to the exact opposite end.  I was "priority rushed" to the front of the security line as my plane was literally waiting on me.  Board the flight sweating bullets and settle in for a wonderful flight full of amazing accents!

First order of business is the salmon, rice and vegetable dinner I was served with two glasses of Australian red wine.  For dessert Key Lime Pie.  For anyone who hasn't traveled internationally, it may be a 16 hour flight, but the food and service were fantastic.  I met some wonderful people on the flight, and though I was seated next to two babies, they slept for almost the entire flight.  I was seated in-between a married couple traveling to Australia for a cruise.. quite enjoyable conversations!

After 16 hours in the air, we look out the window to see Sydney.  The Sydney Harbor, Sydney Opera House, hills, streams, valleys, houses.  It was a beautiful scene from the air.  (I will attach photos to the next blog).  Finally we de-board the plane and I am helped by some very friendly Australians at the customs checkpoint.  They gave me some pointers, offered me a place to stay if ever needed, and pointed me in the direction of my connecting bus to Terminal 2.

Though the cab driver wasn't the epitome of Australian hospitality he did crack a dry joke as I departed the bus juggling my luggage.  And now here I sit.  Waiting for my final flight, as I sit here I thought it would be interesting to tell you some interesting facts about Australia.. the first one is for Brian.

** There are over 2000 different types of snakes in Australia (Mark maybe I really could have used that snake bite kit!)
** Australia is roughly the size of the continental United States
** You don't wear flip-flops, you wear thongs
** (And for Abby) Australia is one of the worlds leading exporters of wool and BEEF :)

More to follow, but for now I'll leave you with a "G'day".

2 comments:

  1. Having to run from one end of the airport to the other has always been my biggest fear when flying--fortunately, it's never happened to me...but with all the flying tack to Michigan over the next couple years I'm sure it's only a matter of time! Hope you are having so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you arrived safe and sound and met some friendly people! I'm looking forward to learning along with you as I follow your blog! Love you, Mary Scramlin

    ReplyDelete