... a trip half-way around the world ...

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Settling into a new chapter...

So the saying that seems to be throwing me off the most, is probably the most simple.  “How are you going?”  This is the typical greeting for Australians.  Whenever it’s asked though it sounds like “Where are you going?” Sometimes I’ve gotten some interesting looks with my response. However I am getting used to it now!  “Have a think about that now would you!” :)
Also I would be a Maths major, not a Math major.  They call it Maths, which actually makes a lot of sense since you are doing multiple fields within Mathematics, however it just is interesting to hear.  Sometimes “it takes a fair whack of time” to get through our Maths lessons however the students seem to genuinely enjoy Maths, and those that don’t rarely complain.  Our days are split so that we do different subjects 3 or 4 days a week, however Maths and Reading are a constant throughout each typical day.  In our Writing lessons we’re talking about “full stops” (periods) and making sure not to forget them... the same lesson I was attempting to teach my 3rd graders in Grand Rapids right before I left.  
Let’s see a typical day.  I wake up around 5:30 (because I can’t sleep much later! Mind you if it’s 5:30 am in Darwin, it is 2:30 pm in Grand Rapids), get ready (eat breakfast, and pack a lunch) and head off to school around 6:45.  It’s a 15 minute bike ride on my fancy schmancy Dunlop Blackhawk 50 pound Mountain Bike :).  This morning, rode to school in a rain.. but the rain here is fantastic! It is a warm but refreshing rain that is so wonderful! If the rain was like this back home.. I truly wouldn’t mind walking around in it!  Get to school and our day follows as I’ve mentioned.  We stay after school and work on preparing for the next day.  Friday’s the staff all get together and have some drinks and barbeque after school.  I get back to Belinda and Ross’s and take the two little Staffy’s for a run around the area.  We clean up and share a dinner, watch some television and hit the hay.  
Mara is also super involved.  She leads dancings, drama, Student Leadership, as well as being the go-to person for it seems everything! The Students Leadership for this new year (they are in the 7th week of their first quarter right now) is in charge of all the fundraisers.  This quarter focuses on fighting Leukemia, and so we have one of our students who has volunteered to chop off all his hair (shave his head) in school tomorrow but students must bring a “gold coin” (a few dollars) donation to make to the Leukemia Foundation.  Each quarter has a different charity they focus on raising money for, and the Student Leadership group is in charge of arranging and promoting it all.
This weekend I’m heading downtown! Since there are over 100,000 crocodiles (learned this at our “Crocsafe” Assembly this afternoon, there is practically NO swimming in any of the lakes, ocean, rivers, streams... ANYTHING! Therefore in order for the locals to still get their surfing on they have this huge outdoor mock wave pool thing.  I’ll have to fill you in on more after I actually see it in action.  Besides that some of the ladies around here invited me on a bike ride as well, so it should be a great weekend of enjoying the outdoors and exploring the area!
Speaking of exploring, there is this crazy phenomenon that happens around here.  As I mentioned before there are a lot of backpackers, and hostels, around Darwin.  However there is also this concept called “couch surfing”.  My CT here, Mara, hosts these “couch surfers” often times, as of right now there are three gentlemen from Singapore staying with her.  I haven’t gotten the full details, but since her daughter does a bit of backpacking and traveling she somehow gets offered up to these travelers who sleep on her couch for a day, a few days, a week... whatever the case may be.  
Okay a few quick colloquialisms
“I love your fringe” (I love your bangs)
Macca’s (R) Not schmancy, just a little bit fancy. (McDonalds and their slogan)
“Miss, when shall we eat our recess?” (Miss, when is snack?)


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment